12 October 2015

Bases other than 10

Originally published on my OU study blog while studying module TU100 'My digital life'

Working through Block 1 Part 2 Session 6 triggered a memory from school from when I was 10 or so, when my parents wrote a letter to the teacher to say that “Emma has not quite grasped the concept of base six numerals”. Indeed I hadn't, and I'm not sure I ever did - I think possibly we just moved on to a different topic.

It did make me wonder what bases other than base 10 are used for. Block 1 explains that binary numbers are used in computing, so OK, I get that. Session 6 notes that base 16 (hexadecimal) is useful in some branches of computing. But what about other bases, such as base eight or indeed my old nemesis, base six?

I briefly Googled the base six numeral system. According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senary it’s also known as ‘senary’. Interesting section on languages believed to use senary numerals.

I worked through the various conversion activities in Session 6 but I can’t say this stuff is intuitive. Especially converting from decimal to binary – what a faff. Nightmare keeping track of the columns and the 1s and 0s. The Sense activity (Activity 39) was quite fun though.

Image of Sense interface showing activity 39b

Charmed to learn that a set of four bits – half a byte – is called a ‘nibble’. Apparently the term is rarely used …

No comments:

Post a Comment