Unit 2 of M140 introduces the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) and the Retail Prices Index (RPI). The CPI and RPI are two of the Office for National Statistics' suite of consumer price inflation indices, which are based on a notional 'basket of goods'. This basket of goods is amended periodically to reflect changes in consumer spending patterns.
This article shows how the basket has changed over time, and contains some fascinating stuff about changing British shopping patterns. I was surprised that the mangle was only removed from the basket in 1962 - that seems recent to me. Condensed milk stayed in until 1987 - I don't think I've ever tried it, though I believe my grandpa used to have it in his tea. The mashed potato substitute Smash was in the basket from 1974 to 1987, when it was replaced by frozen oven chips. 2016 apparently saw coffee pods, microwave rice and computer game downloads added.
Found this article in last Wednesday's Metro, headed Just How Hip(ster) Are You?, which notes that the ONS has taken account of the hipster trend in its annual basket review.

No comments:
Post a Comment